Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Creating a Culture of Respect

Clare,

I sent Mom a letter today...asking her to tell me about her life. I can not recall any stories about her family when she was growing up. She recently made a comment that she doesn't remember much. I want to know her, before she dies and I lose my opportunity. So I gathered up my courage and made the first step...simply ask a few questions. Now I wait.

I am writing a paper for my trauma course...the assignment is an in depth look at a specific type of trauma. I chose to research human trafficking...
I believe that I will narrow the focus to domestic minor sex trafficking...
the "run away and thrown away kids" in america.

I am overwhelmed with grief at the lack of respect for the miracle of life.
Throw away kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How is it possible to ignore the beauty and energy that is your child?
How is it possible to exploit that in some one else's child?
Why are humans so calloused?
Why is OK for men to go to the Super bowl and pay for sex with a young girl or boy?
What basic animal instinct drives this? It is definately not higher level thinking?
Many writers call it an "abuse of power"...
The driving force for much of this is poverty on one end and greed on the other...money.
We can't forget the demand side of this...it is the "consumers" who are willing to pay for sex with young girls and boys that drive the whole machine...legally they are at the least risk as well.


How do we create a culture of respect in our world?
If each person just took one moment to recognize the divine spark that is at the core of each being the world would change.
There would be no abuse, no bullying, no exploitation, no intentional murder, rape, assault...
The Quakers say that there is "that of God within"...
from this simple belief all things fall into place...
equality...
we are all created in the image of the creator, we are each unique, but equally magnificent
peace...
we would open ourselves to hear what the other is saying...
there would be no "them and us"...
it would be we.
integrity...
there would be a safe place to say what you truely mean and mean it...
stand behind and live your words without fear of repercussions.
simplicity...
not having to acquire more and more in case there isn't enough for everyone.
Sorry this is turning into a sermon.

If our family had taken the time to really see who we were...our stories would be totally different. Too many families are blindly re-enacting what their parents did and what their grandparents did and on and on and on back through the generations.
That is what happened when we grew up...
I see it in myself and our siblings with poor marriages, alcohol and drug addictions, self destructive activities, repressed memories, mental health diseases.
And I see it in our children, neices and nephews.
How do we create a culture of respect in our own family?
Is it possible?

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment