Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bystanders

During my internship at the elementary school this past year we taught about bullies, victims and bystanders.
It is amazingly difficult to watch aggresssion and violence play out right in front of you and have the courage to speak up.
This past year we taught the kids to stand with the victim and speak up. 
I wish someone had told us to stand up to the bully.

I have a sign in my house, "Because Nice Matters"...
When I tell my kids to stop picking on each other and they ask, why...I can point to that sign

We were never told to be nice to each other...
We were never protective of each other...
We still prefer to look the other way when someone is drowning...
And then say...isn't that a shame.

I pray that I will never be a bystander again.
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment