Sunday, May 7, 2017

that makes 3

Clare,
I love that...
bigger tables...
that means more opening...
mores socializing...
more sharing...
all good things.

The weekend retreat was fun. I tis good to catch up with friends. Each of the 9 meetings of the quarter give an update during business meeting.
Ours was about loss...
3 members moved...
3 died...
It was a big transitional year for our Meeting.
My Friend's memorial service is Saturday. I miss her very much. She was a second mother to me for the past 10 years.I miss her strong, independent ways. I dread going to her memorial...
It will make me miss her even more.

I had a strong recollection of a friend from middle school this week. Do you remember the refugee from Viet Nam that was adopted by a local woman? This young girl had suffered from Polio and I was asked to help her get from class to class. Her English was very poor, but she had the sweetest smile and was always deeply appreciative.
I thought of her this past week...
wondering what she is doing...
wondering if I could ever find out how her life is going.
Today her obituary appeared on the book of face.
I felt so strangely sad. I hadn't thought about her in decades. And now I have a sense of sadness. I read a book about the Hmong people from Viet Nam for my Masters...
it said that when they die their should go back to all of their former homes to gather the pieces they've left behind. I wonder if she revisited this week to reclaim that bit of our brief history. That is a very positive part of my history. This girl's mom took me, another girl who helped, and this girl to the beach during the summer. It was the first time I ever saw the ocean. S#3 saw the obituary and sent it to me...she and I are going to attend the service together this week. It will be good. S#3 sweetly reminded me of how much I'd done for this young woman...but, I think, she did much for me. She gave me an opportunity to be of service and generous with my time, to show my compassionate side during middle school when everyone is trying to conform and not stand out. Perhaps she is one of the reasons I chose to work in professional that help others...that part of me was noticed and nurtured.
That's what success depends upon- noticing the gifts and nurturing the talents.

So that makes 3 memorial services this week. I should be all cried out by the end of this week. It will be good to see everyone next weekend though.

I'll check in with you tomorrow.
Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment