Tuesday, January 24, 2017

kindness, perseverance ...

Clare,

I came upon this TED talk and want to share it with you...
it is powerful and disturbing.

https://www.ted.com/talks/eve_ensler#t-163675

I am doing all right. I had an opening during Meeting on Sunday. I felt that the evolution of Papa's bigotry and anger was a metaphor for this country's potential. Papa grew from a bigot, disowning a favorite child because of the man she fell in love with, to a forced trust in a black surgeon, to friendship and true connection with our black brother in law. Growth because those around him didn't shrink back and run away from his "Huffing and Puffing"...
kindness, perseverance, time...
all major components to change and growth.
He was so closed when we were young...
hated everyone...
even those of us who were his own.
But, slowly and incrementally he softened and opened.
Our world is full of fear-based bigotry...
kindness, perseverance, time, love will make the difference.

When we were in MD, I was fully engaged in the process of planning, feeling, remembering...
It was healing for me to do all of that.
It was eyeopening to hear your account of walking into a "family reunion"...
because it gradually built to that level I didn't realize how overwhelming it might have been to walk into all of that.

We are going down this weekend to help move Mama into S#5's home. It will be good to check in with her.

What do you think about B#1's wife's situation? I am confused trying to reconcile the varying reports.

I haven't been dreaming, or remembering dreams, lately. I love dreams, analyzing dreams...
and yet nothing.
Enjoy your family.

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie




No comments:

Post a Comment