Friday, January 6, 2017

I'm scared

Hi Maggie,

I have a friend in another country whom I speak with somewhat regularly. He has been challenging me on our empire building ways, on the land grab at the hands of our ancestors.

I know.

I know we are a terrible people.

Then he asked why I was taking it all so personally, and I felt near tears - don't worry I managed to contain myself - be a Delana, don't be emotional, and never cry in public.  And I had to admit to myself, and out loud, that I am scared.

I am truly scared of the upcoming president and the billionaire cabinet and the truly cruel men who lead the Republican party.

I am scared.

Then I saw Michelle Obama's last speech as First Lady.

"So don't be afraid. You hear me, young people? Don't be afraid. Be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered...."

(I decided I could be a young person.)

Now I really need to cry, because I don't feel alone.

I will miss her the most. I love Michelle. She was such dignity, such lightness and grace. She has such a practical humor.  She is a wonderful role model for all women.

Okay, feeling a little better.

Hope you arrived safely. Have the best birthday ever!

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment