Thursday, December 1, 2016

Emmy is gone...

Hi Maggie,

My old dog has passed.  I had to make the choice that today was the day, and follow through.  I did not like shouldering that responsibility.  But I am telling myself that I loved her enough to do it.  She has been getting a bit weaker each day.  This morning she could no longer use her hips, or her back legs.  She would not eat or drink.  She started crying a few times.

I sent a note to my close friend who brought her here. She promised to keep up with all the vetting if I took the dog.  She has been so true to her word.  When I sent the first note, I cried. When she responded with an appointment time after a few exchanges, I cried again.  My goal for the day was not to cry during work.  I did not succeed.

Luckily I cried while talking to a man I have been working with for so many years. He heard her whine, asked what that was. I said my dog was dying.  I asked him to hold while I took her to nephew.   I talked about what was happening, then he told me a long bittersweet story about a rescued horse named Chandler Bing.  It helped...especially since there is a happy ending.

I took a quick shower the minute I was done with work. I was standing in the water, and I remembered that the family before me had left her outside on a three foot leash for the whole summer. She was afraid of thunder and lightning...how could they do that to her...???  More tears.

She was almost 11 when I got her...three years ago.  She was skinny, afraid, nervous,unable to look at anyone's face...her head was always down.  She was never normal, not connected like a dog one raises from a puppy would be.  But when she started ripping through the screen in my bedroom window because I was out front, I knew she noticed me, wanted my company.

When someone we love dies,  we can feel the rip of their spirit from ours.

She was a good dog. She died with such grace. She is buried out back with the other dogs, she is one of us even in death.

I'm probably gong to cry for a little while longer...

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment