Saturday, August 22, 2015

Be Nice

And the elusive notebook is still at large...It even has a little local monthly magazine in it, because there was a poem I wanted to share...So I'm still off the cuff.  Oh well.

This morning, on social media, there was a comment from a young woman I have had the pleasure to meet several times. She is a glowing, positive person. She wrote about people telling her she was too friendly, and added an attachment, a quote about complimenting random strangers and the effects, all positive, it has on them - but also on us.

It reminded me of another little story from a Friend who lives in a city. We have mutual F/friends, and so we are virtual friends.  She said she was on the subway when a man stopped and told her she was owning the outfit she was wearing, that she should shine like the diva she is. She was shocked and talked to him. He explained that he was dying and he was going to spend the rest of his time noticing how wonderful people were, and telling them.

This Friend said she managed not to start crying until she was home, and shut the door.

These words of beauty affect us. Heal us.  It is such a gift to be noticed.

I have been thinking about this. I think I have begun doing this in a quiet way. I still don't have the inner resources to speak loudly to strangers, but I do try to drop compliments in conversation. I try to sift in little gems to let people know what I see that really shines.

We need to grow this movement.

Maybe if we did, we could "fix" people like me, who upon being told I look fabulous, shut it down instead of embracing it and becoming even shinier.

I hope you are finding something to love about the weekend.  Everyone asked me to go along once years ago, and I said no. I've never been invited again.  I didn't think my no was that rude!!!  But I really could not go.  I struggle so much with evangelism.  It all makes me so uncomfortable. 

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment