Thursday, August 28, 2014

Diamond in the Rust

Families are funny. Each has their own dynamic and hierarchy…
or dynamic hierarchy.

My family is in flux. We are probably going to be without children at home in the next two weeks. My older son decided to make a fresh start with S#5 to complete high school. Part of me is disappointed. Just when I got him sober and enjoyable to be around he's going to leave.
But, that is naive…
he will still struggle…
and I/we will still be here to support him.
My youngest wrote him a letter…
tempting/challenging him back into substance use…
I think it's going to be an incredible opportunity for the older brother to show younger what he's learned and his resolve.

I am so excited to travel next week…
to see him…
to hear his stories…
to look into his eyes and see the Light again.

Many years ago I began a song…
but never finished it.
I was reminded of it last week when I was composing a letter…

When I look into your eyes
I see nothing at all.
I wonder 'bout your life
the who, the what, the where,
the promise that you lost,
the fact that you don't care.

I shared that with my son…
telling him that is how I remember him when we parted ways…
I can't wait to write the next verse, after I see him.

My son wrote that one of his guides told him that heat and pressure can either burn you or make you a diamond…and she sees him as a diamond. The name of the unfinished song is Diamond in the Rust. How cool is that?

I see so many people who's inner Light has been dimmed or nearly extinguished. It is one of the saddest things I encounter. I sat face to face with a woman, younger than myself, who looked grayer than steel. She had no life in her eyes. I just wanted to tell her how incredible life really is…but she has to discover that in her own time…as the depression lifts.

I pray that everything works out for the family on the bus. I pray that we all find our way to happiness or at least fulfillment.


No comments:

Post a Comment