Sunday, February 12, 2017

connections

Clare,

I am worried about many of us...
still hiding from each other for so many years.
I see it mostly in the LONG silences from siblings...
only hearing when things are better than 'crappy'.
I worry most when I haven't heard things from siblings in a while.

Yesterday, I helped at the memorial service of a 99 year old Quaker Friend who died last month. I spoke with her family members who seem equally estranged...
they did not seem close to each other...
but put on a 'face for company'.
I took a minute to speak with one of her grandsons, he is a friend of my daughter#2, he found her protest signs...
he didn't know that side of his grandmother...
suddenly she was much cooler than before...
much like my sense of pride when the veterans saluted Papa's remains.
A person in attendance said,"O was always a lady, and she was a hell of a woman".
I didn't realize her full, peace filled life...
she was someone who was brought to Meeting with her eldest daughter for holidays.
There is a depth to many that we cannot understand.

I think the more we read out to our family, the better.
It's sometimes messy, but will be worth it in the long run.

I sat with my elderly Friend today. She was too tired to go to Meeting this morning, after having gone out for the Memorial Service yesterday. I took soup and a sandwich by her house and we sat and talked as we shared the sandwich. She spoke extensively about her parents...
so many stories...
a few tears...
she laughed several times...
it was beautiful.
But, in my heart of hearts I know that she is gathering herself for her passing.
She seems to be a shell of her full, former self.
I cried silently as she recollected stories, because I know she is disconnecting with this world...
anticipating her reunion with her beloved parents.
I will treasure her remaining time...
and miss her deeply after she has died.
All good things must pass.

I had opening exercises today and spoke of the patience and passion of Quakers...
how oddly juxtaposed those two qualities are in Quakers.
The Ladies of the Seneca Falls Convention, working passionately for women's right to vote...
putting it on the 'back burner' to advocate for black men's vote and native American's rights...
only one of those women ever voted legally in the US.
So many died before they saw their goal achieved...
but it was right and just work.
I spoke about Bayard Rustin- a gay, black man who allowed others to lead the Civil Rights movement so his homosexuality wouldn't complicate matters...
he worked with MLK on nonviolent protests for blacks' rights...
but he never saw the marriage equality act or gay rights legislation.
Passion and patience...an amazing mixture.

I also share two songs' lyrics...
Leonard Cohen's Anthem...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wRYjtvIYK0

and James Taylor's Shed a Little Light...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKTzFwv16w

It was great...
Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment