Monday, August 27, 2012

Those who do not learn from history...

Good morning,

I am sorry I have been AWOL!  This was my last weekend here, and so we were busy.  But there are wildfires in the region, and the smoke has led to congestion and sore throats for all!  I had to walk out of meeting in the middle of the silence because I was hacking.  Apparently this is common in the west.

I missed you!  Once I get home, I'll be back on my regular schedule and will have the luxury of being able to write long, thoughtful - or rambling - responses.  Of course, once I go home, I will miss the kids like crazy.  I hate being so spread out!  

Your last posts are thought-provoking.  Because I have to work this morning, I'm simply going to respond to some of it.  

I don't know why I became a vegetarian.  I was 17 and I woke up one morning and realized I needed to stop eating meat.  Then I began reading about it and discovered Frances Moore Lappe, Diet for a Small Planet.  I did not eat meat until I was 23 and pregnant.  My closest friend convinced me that my baby would have skull deformities if I didn't get enough minerals meat provides.  So I ate meat during my pregnancies, and had periods of vegetarianism thoughout my life.  I am waiting for the trigger that will get me past eating poultry now, then I will be vegetarian again.

I think the process of simply dealing with symptoms is pervasive - no matter what the problem.  We have been trained to look at the problem and ponder and puzzle.  Our education system does not teach us to look at the past or to analyze.  There is a quote I appreciate:

“Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it”  -George Santayana      

 

 We blunder through, putting out fires, never realizing that there is a simple fix.  Not simple, exactly - the fix will take a complete change of mindset and lots of hard work, but it is one of those answers that we can't believe it's so simple!

 

I think those in charge benefit from keeping us busy with putting out fires.  We are so exhausted we don't notice what is truly happening in our society. 

 

This national debate about whether woman who are raped should be forced to have the baby is a great example.  We are all so inflamed by our opinions about rape and abortion that no one is looking at the core problem.  Why is rape acceptable?  The questions should be: Why do we live in a society where women are raped so frequently?  And, Why are our lawmakers protecting rapists in the guise of protecting babies? 

 

The answer is simple.  Conceiving babies when we really want them.  We should all be wanted.  That is the most basic human right.  Gentle birth.  Extended breastfeeding.  Not separating moms from their infants.  Not separating dads from their families.  Living in communities where young families are supported.  I never read Hillary Clinton's It Takes a Village to Raise a Child, But I often thought the title should be:  It Takes a Village to Support the Parents Who are Raisisng a Child. 

 

I have more to say, but it is almost time for me to work, so I wanted to share one last thought.  I was at a study group with Friends once, and we were discussing something biblical.  I commented on how violent the god of the Old Testament was compared to the message of the Christ, who was sharing his Father's word - presumably the same person.   I wondered aloud who changed - us or god.  A dear Friend started sputtering.  Finally he managed to say, "But God's God?"  So I understand your line about God learning, too.  It doesn't frighten me at all.

 

I love you.  I got up about 45 minutes early.  I will do that again tomorrow, if possible.  Have a magical day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment