Saturday, August 11, 2012

Stranger No More?

I have not spent time in Europe yet, but I talk to Europeans all day long.  I know I idealize, somewhat, but I do love the culture of slowing down and enjoying where you are.  My expectation is that meals are shared with loved ones and take a lot of time, because people are really spending time with each other - listening and laughing, and because they are truly tasting and enjoying their foods.  That comes out way ahead of my memory of spending hours preparing meals which were consumed in 20 minutes.

I decided to start reading Women Who Run With Wolves again, this time with a highlighter in hand.  I know I passed a few comments that really made me stop and think.  The problem is, I have been falling asleep after reading only a few pages. I will keep going!

I was thinking about my recent bus trip, and about changes I/we have been going through because of this work.  I have always been a very reserved person.  I don't know how much of that is normal personality or character, and how much was created by circumstance.  Moving every year taught me to pull myself together tightly and not let any part of me touch anyone else - or really be seen!  I always envied people who could interact lovingly and immediately, to notice others and reach out.

I have a friend, I may have mentioned before, who is a natural cheerleader and mom type.  She helps others so easily, and faces everyone with such love and concern and humor.  There are times, when I want to be more than I am, that I channel my inner-Friend - I imagine what she would do.

On the bus, there was some confusion about which bus an older gentleman belonged on.  As he left, it seemed he left a bag on our bus.  I wasn't sure, so I didn't say anything.  I was upset with myself, because this was certainly not following the golden rule!  I saw him a few cities later, and actually ran across the station and touched his arm to ask if he had his bag.  This is not me...or this was never me before.

Was that the breakthrough?   Maybe, because after that I saw a young mom struggling with lots of baby apparel, trying to get down the aisle with babe in arms.  I asked if I could help and she promptly deposited a sleeping angel into my arms.  Another woman was traveling with her older sister and was worried about the next food stop.  Her sister was feeling a little dizzy.  I gave her an apple, and offered her more.  They were both so grateful.

These seem so insignificant, and in a way they are.  The act of kindness is insignificant, the hard part is reaching out and touching a stranger.  But once we do reach out to a stranger, they aren't any more - they are a fellow traveler.

I hope you are loving your travels.  We are going to spend the afternoon picking berries and the evening watching the Perseids meteor shower in the mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment