Tuesday, November 15, 2016

I choose kindness

Clare,

It has been an unsettling week. I am dismayed that hatred has been unleashed in this country and the world. I still believe that peace and love are stronger…subtler…more stable.
What a re-action to 8 years of good leadership from a black (half black) man…
I think we underestimated the extent of threat felt by all of those white men…and women.
we greatly underestimated it.

Sunday at Meeting a man stood and sang:
'tis a gift to be patient...
'tis a gift to be kind…
'tis a gift to wait to hear the others' mind.

The verse went on…and I cannot remember the words, but that line has stayed with me.
I added a Mother Theresa Quote…
   People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.  Forgive them anyway.
            If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.  Be kind anyway.
            If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.  Succeed anyway.
           If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.  Be honest and sincere anyway.
            What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.  Create anyway.
            If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.  Be happy anyway.
            The good you do today, will often be forgotten.  Do good anyway.
         Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.  Give your best anyway.
         In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway.

I made a brief sentence about Quaker integrity making a mark at this time.
It felt right

I have been working harder at preparing for the trauma seminar…
and my trauma work…
trying hard to be kind.

One of my students asked me if I felt safe…
she is a survivor of abuse and feels unsafe.
I told her that I refuse to give my power over to a bully.
I suggested that she find several safe people to be with…
for loving support and stability.
I also believe that, as social workers, we are the ones to stand with the vulnerable. Each adversity t=is an opportunity for something to grow. Perhaps the responsibility for caring for each other will become more personal since we will not have a supportive government. Kindness cannot be legislated in, or out of life. I plan to be kind. I choose kindness. That's all that I can do.

I have to speak at an interfaith, Thanksgiving eve gathering next week…
I have no idea what I'm going to read or say…
any quotes that you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks for keeping track of me.
Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment