Sunday, October 16, 2016

transformation

Hey Maggie,

I hope all is well with you.

I spent an overnight at a Quaker retreat.  I serve on regional Ministry and Counsel, and we had a M&C retreat, open to anyone who is on the committee in their meeting, or interested in it.

Even though I was on the committee that organized it, I had no idea what to expect.  Our goals were to deepen relationships, we did that, and to explore what M&C does, because a lot of us don't know. We refer back to Faith and Practice and try to make sense of it.

There was an Aha! moment though. After the Friday night session, the committee, the three of us, were sitting together trying to discern way forward.  We talked about what we heard. Someone said we need to look for the Light in each situation, then be faithful.

Wow. It was like advice for my whole life.

So I was thinking about my theory of being human/humane. It means to be flexible and open. As soon as something becomes concrete, the humanity is gone.  So we can't just use Faith and Practice and say this is the way we do it.  We have to be open, and flexible.  We have to look for the Light.

So we asked for stories of transformation.

It was perfect.

I am still coughing, and so it really limited my being there.  One Friend asked me how my night was. I told him I had a few episodes. He let me know he had been on the other side of the door, and he was holding me in the Light all night.  Someone else did some energy work. I felt cherished.

I felt the loss of my own meeting.  Without having a car, I am outside of the society. I miss them. I am waiting for way to open, but I wish I had an idea of where to knock...

The other thing I treasured this weekend was the reminder to listen, to be present, but not to give advice, not to fix anyone's problem.

One other thing that hit me hard this weekend was - we are getting old/Iam getting old. I think we had one person in her 40's. The rest of us were 50 - 70.  I noticed that I have started wearing shoes. I have started sitting in chairs.

When did I get old?

Hope all is well with you.  Sending love and hugs...

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment