Monday, October 31, 2016

alas…I like that word

Clare,

I'm sitting in my kitchen gumming pumpkin bread…
trying to not bite the inside of my mouth…
it's numb.
I broke a molar eating caramel corn yesterday…
I thought I'd picked out all of the unpopped kernels…
but alas…
So I visited my dentist and now...
I have a new half a molar.

My youngest is spinning right now…
he was enjoying freedom while we were distracted by the young man…
but, he got into a few situations that have him bordering on trouble.
I cannot go into all of the details at this time…
but he's dealing with some serious shit and has to walk through the heat he's created.
He wants to switch schools…
we said no.
He wants us to make it all disappear…
we said no.
We said, "we will be by your side, helping you to deal with consequences, but you need to stay put and  walk through this time."
I'll keep you posted.
Sometimes I believe he is educating me on many important life lessons.

I'm teaching about acculturation, assimilation, white privilege, bias, etc. tonight…
I have an activity to demonstrate white privilege…
and a video about forced acculturation of indigenous american children at the Carlisle School.
It should be an interesting class.

I am trying to hear the phrase, "They're doing the best they can, under the circumstances."when I am dealing with difficult people. Papa D is a difficult person. He has such a tough exterior that he believes that is the best survival tactic.
I believe he insults us…
or at least never praises us…
to toughen us up for the world. I really think he believes he is helping us to cope.
Perhaps his words to your daughter were meant to cause separation…
separation means less grieving when he dies.
I don't want to suppose what his words were meant to do…
but he is scared to the bone…
he's coping by being an ass hole…
like my young man- he is using what has worked best for him in the past.
Survival instincts are strong and ingrained…
bear witness to his journey without buying into his ways.

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment