Tuesday, April 24, 2012

living out loud

Thinking about what you wrote, I reject normal. I think that it would be fair to say that I long to be unique. In contrast to that statement is my history of trying to control and project perfection. I hope that my future is one that embraces the challenge of showing my "true colors".

I went to a Take Back the Night event last week. It was very powerful in that over 100 people gathered, walked and spoke about abuse and personal violence. What struck me most though was the silence. No survivors felt safe enough to speak out. I want to believe that was because it was a public place full of strangers, not a safe space to open up. Contrary to that, I feel that it was a resounding statement of the silence and secrecy that shame imposes on survivors.

I want to make a statement about the huge impact that sexual and physical abuse has on our society. I want to make people pay attention to this epidemic. I am brainstorming ideas, ways to do this. I am excited and frightened to move ahead. I want to find my voice in all of this. I want to live out loud...

No comments:

Post a Comment